Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Riding Along

After my shift ended at 2300 on Saturday, I decided to go on a quick ride-along with Diesel Bear. Now usually, I refuse to ride with him on principle being as we are married. Except that he's in the traffic unit and I wanted to see a few traffic stops and maybe a DUI arrest. (Not to mention that I just don't care anymore.) And the other officer on his crew that I wanted to ride with already had a rider. Alas, on to the night!

Rules for riding-NEVER get out of the squad car unless instructed to do so.
If you see something interesting, let the officer know.
If you see a car you want to stop, tell the officer and identify why it should be stopped.

The first traffic stop was on the interstate and it was as routine as those can be. It's strange, I started to worry about him being on the interstate with traffic flying by at about 65-75mph, but then realized that he did this everyday. Besides, God is in control, so I let the worry go. The next stop was a DUI! He had his young son with him too. Already I think he's a jerk and a bad parent, but he proved himself to be a complete dick as the booking process went on. He refused all tests and at one point acted like he couldn't read. He also tried to figure out how he failed the FST's (Field Sobriety Tests) over and over in booking. Plus he smelled like a really gross, dirty bar. The worst part of riding is after the subject is placed in the back of the squad car, the officer has to inventory the vehicle before it gets towed and the jerk in the back kept talking and cussing. And like I mentioned before, he smelled nasty so the whole car smelled! Diesel Bear couldn't get done fast enough.
After that jerk was released, the next stop we made was another DUI!!! So I got to see 2 in 4 hours. The 2nd guy was younger and very quiet and polite. He just smelled like alcoholic beverages.

In short, I had myself a good ole time and got to refresh myself with the other side of the radio! Now Diesel Bear has more reports to write..


Sports chatter replacing the song today-On Sunday, I got to watch the football games and relax. I really enjoy watcher the games. My 3 favorite teams are the Packers, Rams, and Steelers. The Rams VS Packers game was hard to watch because they are my top 2 favs, but the Packers came out on top! Oh, did anyone see the Steelers game? Those last seconds killed me.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't the Steelers playing the Chargers this coming Sunday? Sounds like a ride-along is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here it's very common for wives to ride along. I can't imagine riding along unless it was with my hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have always done the ride alongs with other cops. It was fun to go out w/ my Bear though.

    ReplyDelete