Friday, September 11, 2009

My Best Call

On a day of such sadness I would like to share my best call.

Not to brag, but my medics have around an 8 minute response time to anywhere in Townsville. And to me that's saying something. A few months back I took a 911 call from a women who said that her daughter was in labor. Her daughter was around 20years old and this was her second baby. I quickly entered the call and my partner paged out the ambulance and I began to walk them through the basic pre-arrival questions. When it got to the question of weather or not any part of the baby is showing, the caller started yelling, "The head is coming out!" They were in their bathroom and she was echoing like crazy. It became apparent that this baby was going to be fully out really soon.
I was praying so hard for my medics to get there, they are usually so fast. But this baby was coming faster! So I started giving instructions to my caller on what to do and when to do it. Then all the sudden I heard the baby crying. It was amazing. My medics got there about a minute later and whisked everyone away to the hospital.

My partner said that she has been doing this job for over 15 years and she has never had a baby fully born while she was on the line. Childbirth happens everyday, but not usually in the home and/or not usually while a dispatcher is on the phone. I still have the audio from that call saved. Maybe when/if I have kids it will sound even more amazing.

No song today, a moment of silence for all that were lost on this day, and a prayer of thanks to God that he can do so many miraculous things and help everyone to heal.

3 comments: