Really, I don't want to play anymore tonight. Usually, I'm all for paging out every emergency responder I have. But tonight, eh. It's raining and nasty out. No one wants to do much of everything. I get a call about a CO detector sounding in a residence. Dispatching the FD is my favorite thing to do. Not tonight. I do not want to play.
20 minutes after my new crew of officers came on, I got a 911 call, residential burglary that just occurred with the suspect fleeing out the back door. All my officers fly to the other end of town and then there's another call of at least 3 BFA's (burglary from auto). The officer that handled those came back about an hour later and looked like a drowned rat.
I suppose I can't complain, my job is indoors, climate controlled, and generally quiet. However, I don't think it's fair to send all the guys/gals out in this yuckyness (is that a word?).
Any of you other dispatchers feel that way sometimes? Any officers come home and tell their wives how much they hate dispatch for sending them out to silly calls in the rain? I know Diesel Bear has complained. It's all part of the job I know, but I still feel bad for them and hate doing it. I want a neon 'closed' sign to hang out front!
Song for the post: Richard Harris - MacArthur Park (the "someone left the cake out in the rain" song. It's hysterical.)
Ugh
1 year ago

Hahahaha.. cute.. My officer has never complained about dispatch ever sending him out in the rain. But he has complained about the citizens and their pettiness.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I think we both consider it our job and job security.. which in this day and age is priceless.
-Dispatcher
There are a few dispatchers at my hub's precinct that can be a bit elitist, but Hubs has never said he hates them. In fact, he frequently says he would never want your job because at least he can handcuff people. :-)
ReplyDeleteDispatcher- AMEN! yeah, we will always have a job.
ReplyDeleteLisa E-That's sooo true! I do know that if we had guns they would constantly be replacing the phones....