Friday, October 9, 2009

Dead or Alive...

Sitting in my little room with my partner when 911 rings. No big, my partner beat me to answering it and this is what I hear...

911 what is your emergency? She's not breathing? And you're at 123 Whatever St, ok, what's your phone number. And she's 30-some years old. Is she breathing now?

Sounds like a serious call-I page out EMS and as I'm saying the address, I hear my partner say, "she IS breathing now and you want to cancel the ambulance?!" So I correct my dispatch and continue to listen for the updates only imagining what kind of confusion my partner is going through. Then comes the best part: "she has Swine flu and hasn't eaten in 4 days?"
(She had actually had some broth each day and been in the hospital so she was not malnourished or anything.) Then there is another person that comes to the phone to correct the information.
Turns out that no, she doesn't have swine flu, just the regular flu.

Pretty good trick, the patient goes from being dead and not breathing to alive and having the swine flu and then it's just the regular flu, I half thought she was going to be 100% healthy by the time EMS got there...

Song for the post: Sir Vine - Swine Flu

And yes, this is a real song, a rap about it that has tips on health, like washing your hands. There's even a news story about this song!

No comments:

Post a Comment