Sometimes the best days are the days when nothing happens. That was not today. Unfortunately, I don't want to write about it because there have been media calls and that kinda takes away from the whole anonymous thing I'm trying to keep here if you turn on the news and it's all over the place. I think it' been a slow enough news day Townsville will appear. So instead I will tell you about the media calls...
When the TV/radio/newspaper reporters call we are not allowed to confirm or deny anything. It's funny because if they were listening to the scanner, they can hear my voice. Then I answer the phone, and its the same voice they heard on the scanner! Or during their call, they occasionally hear the radio traffic (if I'm not wearing a headset) related to what they are asking about. Calls are given to the Officer in charge, usually the Sgt. or the public relations officer. Or else forwarded to the proper agency.
Sometimes the media people can be really pushy and rude. Other times they are very pleasant and professional. I have no idea what makes the difference. The media calls are about every 15-30 mins if it's a big story like an Amber alert, or for smaller property damage type stuff, calls are about every hour. It can be very annoying, but I know they are just trying to do their jobs. Sometimes it sucks to get interrupted by media calls when I'm also trying to do my job.
In sports news, I'm freaking thrilled that the Packers beat the Cowboys!! (Sorry TGR, nothing against Texas, just the Cowboys.) And even the Bears lost! Ah what a day! it bites that my other favs lost, but I'll be just fine.
Note to self: It began yesterday-11/15.
RIP Dale.
Ugh
1 year ago

I never disliked the media so much as when I took this job. We have the same guy from one station that calls in the middle of the night at the same time every night hoping to get information. It's so true about the scanners....we know that they're listening anyway so them calling asking if there is anything going on is a waste of time....and a total annoyance.
ReplyDeleteI know!! I was lucky, last night wasn't to bad, it was property only..
ReplyDelete