I am the Police Officer follow me,
Preserving the peace is where I'll be,
I am the torch that lights the way,
In darkness my courage will never sway,
Leading the others, that is me,
I am the Police Officer, guiding the three.
I am the Firefighter follow me,
Into the flames is where I'll be,
I am the one who battles the beast,
To protect that on which it would feast,
Lending strength to the others, that is me,
I am the Firefighter, supporting the three.
I am the Medic follow me,
Easing the pain is where I'll be,
I am the one who helps them survive,
Lifting the fallen to keep them alive,
Treating the others, that is me,
I am the Medic, healing the three.
I am the Dispatcher don't follow me,
Agony and chaos is where I'll be,
Working in obscurity, this forgotten place,
Not death but insanity is the danger I face,
Answering the call, that is me,
I am the Dispatcher, protecting the three.
I found this and it struck me as true.. Some days there are calls for all three and I have to keep it all straight while keeping track of all three different agencies all at the same time. No wonder dispatchers go insane. And all the while no one realizes that the dispatcher is even there. There is no pat on the back or job well done, instead there is a write up and 'talk' if you make a mistake. Yet this is the only job for me. This is what I was made for and why I keep trying to be the best at what I do. If you don't know that I'm there, then I have not made a mistake and everyone goes home safely. My job is not a profession and I will never treat it as such. I don't want any recognition, just know that I will be there for you in your time of need and I will keep your loved ones safe.
Ugh
1 year ago

Dispatch - the most under-appreciated gig in the emergency response system. You get it from both sides.
ReplyDeleteInsanity indeed.
Thanks for going crazy for us.
Capt. Schmoe-Anytime Capt, you are very welcome. As long as people like you go home, my insanity is well earned. :)
ReplyDeleteI would like to share this on my blog, if you don't mind. It is so true. When we do our job right, no one pays us any mind. But it makes me happy when my guys go home safe every night. Stay safe out there.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely hits a chord. thanks for posting this.
ReplyDeleteGreat post and oh so true.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDelete-Commchick- go ahead, i found it online a few years ago and have no idea who wrote it.
I appreciate you!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great poem. Thank you for being a dispatcher because without you it would be chaos.
ReplyDelete