Sunday, February 7, 2010

Real Quick

Oh my goodness, have any of you ever watched Hoarders on A&E?? I think they have a marathon on right now or something, but I'm watching this in disbelief and all I want to do is clean every surface of my house.
I feel so badly for these people and their families. I know I don't have the cleanest house, but I don't understand how people let it get that bad! How can they even live like that??
Am I the only one that feels like this after seeing this show? Does anyone else want to clean everything and take a long hot bath with bleach??

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe it either! I go nuts if my house is a little cluttered and dirty...hoarders is just ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 911R,

    I have a neighbor like this. The path from her front door to her bedroom is too narrow for me to comfortably fit through. The house is stacked at least 4 feet high. The kitchen is unusable. She can barely get to the fridge. Because of the hoarding, the house is in disrepair and she can't even have it fixed. She has no stove or microwave capabilities, she only eats fast food and cold food. She can't have the water on because something is broken and floods her house when it is on only a few minutes. She doesn't shower or wash clothes only goes occasionally to have her hair washed at a salon. She has no water and therefore flushes once a day with bottled water from the store. She is is bad shape health wise, and has mental illness (obviously) but enough faculties about her that unless she initiates it or at least agrees to it, nothing can be done for her. She has abused every system of help that has been available and abuses her neighbors who help too. I tried for twenty years to help her, preparing food, inviting her over, washing her clothes, finding resources, taking her on errands, and she would just scream and curse at me for not doing everything her way in her time frame and tell me what a terrible Christian I am. I finally just had to wash my hands of her. It is very very sad! And yes... It does make me want to weed out and clean up everything!! The sad thing about the show Hoarders is that it has been proven that their methods don't work. It looks good for the immediate fix but left to their own devices, the hoarders will be in the same spot in no time. It is too bad that we as a society cannot figure out a way to truly help these people who need counseling and maybe even medication as well as very strong support systems to change these behaviors. And the worst part is that it affects way more than just them. It is a danger to emergency personnel to have to help in case of medical situation or fire, it breeds pests and more. Very sad indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, we actually have several hoarders in Townsville and the EMS/FD have huge issues when they are encountered. I'm so sorry that she was like that to you Hotflash, you def don't need that. it is sad that it doesn't work too.

    Deputys wife- ridiculous is the perfect word to describe it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Hoarders' methods will not work either because they're not addressing the REAL issue. It's like gastric bypass people who regain their weight. The real issue was never addressed, only the physical issue.

    It's funny you mentioned wanting to clean everything. I told my gf I couldn't watch the show because I was afraid I'd become like that and she said it made her want to clean like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been watching this show lately.. it's like a train wreck. I can't believe that people live that way.. and that I'm so interested in watching them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm a new reader of your blog from Michigan. I should have left breadcrumbs in my path of web surfing, because I have no idea how in the hell I got here! But here I am, and I love the style of your blog. I have two daughter in laws, one is a EMT the other a Paramedic. My oldest son is a fireman/Paramedic/Swat...and I easily fall prey to blogs like yours. Not a good thing, as a mom, I am worried enough. But this show, Hoarders, made me comment on your blog...lol..I have a sick need to watch every episode, and have even DVR'd every stinky show. I impulsively go through my small condo and start "pitching" crap in the trash...and I have no "collections" or dust magnet cha chi's as it is! (or dead cats, ewww did you see that episode?)..lol..but I am terrified one of my kids and or their spouses ever would hear their mom is a "character" for some wickedly sick show like Hoarders! lol...so, I am going to add you to my favorite websites and come and visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our former church organist was a hoarder. His home had been condemmed because of the trash and he was living in a motel; the management wasn't too happy about the condition of the room, either. His car was piled above the windows with old shoes, papers, hubcaps, fast food bags, you name it. He had to push things out of the way to get into the car, and then hold them in place when he got out. The police finally spotted him and pulled him over, and he was forced to quit driving. (He'd have been buried in debris if he'd to slam on the brakes!) He'd left specific instructions for his funeral, but the papers were in his house, and his family had difficulty getting permission to enter the building and then couldn't get to the room or the piece of furniture where he'd left the papers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every single time I watch that show, seriously, I throw out a big black bag of "garbage". Doesn't matter what, just something has to go. That show is incredible. I totally start cleaning the kitchen while watching it.
    Love your blog, came over from MommaFargo. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel bad for the families, but for the hoarders themselves? Mostly not. Some of them seem to be people who simply found themselves in a bad situation (health problems, or whatever), weren't able to keep up with things, and then didn't know what to do. Those people I feel bad for. The ones I really can't stand are the ones who bitch and moan and fight and complain and cry the entire time, especially when they're doing it in front of their kids who are going to be taken away from them - or not returned to them - if they don't clean up their house. Sickening. I guess the difference to me is I feel sympathy for the ones who show some self responsibility and at least try to make things better.

    They ought to do some follow-up shows with some of the people to show how things turned out for them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who actually made use of the after care provided by the show did OK.

    ReplyDelete