Ok, for some reason I have been hearing the life story of everyone I come into contact with lately. And not callers, but random people on the street. I'm told I'm approachable and honest looking. Today I found out that doesn't matter at all.
On the phone at work I spoke with another dispatcher, after giving her the information she needed to know, I said sorry I couldn't help her more. She proceeded to tell me that it didn't matter and that the officer didn't have very good radio etiquette and she would tell him to call if he needed more information. Figuring this was the end I said, good luck. She went on to tell me about her work schedule, a co-worker, and her plans for the weekend. Even her friends' wife and the medical problems she had. I don't even know this dispatchers name!!
During most of this time, I was giving information back on the radio because I had hit the mute button on the phone, and wasn't engaging in conversation. I couldn't help but think that there was a time and a place for being a chatty Cathy. At work (on a recorded no less) is not the place to be doing that. Also, I try very hard to NEVER talk bad about my co-workers to another agency, especially if I don't know the dispatcher (or anyone else from there in this case). The first responder field is small...most people know someone from somewhere who knows someone else who knows your Uncle.
Any thoughts about inappropriate phone conversations at work? Am I alone in thinking that she shouldn't have said so much? Has this happened to anyone else in any field?
Song: Thé à la Menthe -La Caution
You made a time machine, out of a Delorean?
7 hours ago

I suspect she's not going to be in the profession very long. That is so not cool, and it WILL come back to bite her in the butt. Good judgement can be a matter of life and death in your work; either she lacks good judgement, she was having an exceptionally bad day (but still...) or she's on drugs.
ReplyDeleteI think she definitely went too far! This isn't really the same thing but years ago when I worked in a call centre, I was having a convo with my co-worker. We were both Moms with constipated babies so u can imagine the conversation. My next call came in and I kept talking before I hit the receive button because I always kept the phone on mute....not this time...the woman was furious and told me she did not need to hear abouy my babies shit!
ReplyDeleteWhen I end up with a chatty person, I interrupt the second fluff paragraph with "I am monitoring a critical job and cannot stay on the phone, sorry." For 911, can't you just say you've got other calls pending? Really, even in-house or in-industry, no one will reasonably take offense at a dispatcher saying they're busy. If they do take offense, it is less a price to pay than what it will cost to keep them happy. Click. ;)
ReplyDelete