One of the job requirements for being a dispatcher is the ability to sit for long periods of time. Believe it or not, there are 3 different kinds of chairs in the dispatch room at any given time and people fight over them!
Does anyone else have stuff like this at their workplace? Where people fight over things that generally seem minor? Of course in dispatch, what we're sitting in makes a world of difference since it's for hours on end...
Song for the post: Here It Goes Again by Ok Go (the treadmill video.)
You made a time machine, out of a Delorean?
7 hours ago

How's this for small? I work in a library,and I use bookends with magnetic bottoms to keep children's books from falling over while I'm sorting them on metal carts.
ReplyDeleteeverybody else in the department says they don't use them, but they ALWAYS go missing!! I've taken to hiding "my" bookends in my desk. And you should see departments fight over the good carts....Librarians are NOT meek and mild!
We do!!!!!! i am amazed this goes on elsewhere! it actually kinda makes my day that it is not just here. we have 3 or 4 different types of chairs in here right now. there are usually 4 or 5 of us working. we have 4 chairs that are actually supposed to be 24/7 chairs but they welded them to sit straight up. no give...at first we HATED them and now we LOVE them. well we started with 10 of these chairs and now we are down to 2 that are still like that and 2 that are broken and lean completely back. then we have a few misc regular computer desk type chairs. we actually have a person or few who will get here 30 + minutes early to try to steal the good chairs. i am not one of these people. LOL. it is actually really irritating to me at the end of my shift for someone to come in here and beg me to trade chairs with them leaving me to sit in the broken chair or stand up for the last 30 minutes so they can have 8 hours of comfy! make it stopppppppp. :)
ReplyDeleteOur chairs are identical but we fight over them anyway because one of them is directly under an AC vent and it's always freezing!
ReplyDeleteI would LOVE to get a decent chair in my office! Our original chair is fabric and still smells like one of our dispatchers...and it's not pleasant :( I routinely steal the chair out of the LT's office and use it :)
ReplyDeletehahahahahah !!! "hours ON END" ~ did you mean for a long time or on your booty?? It totally made me giggle. :)
ReplyDeleteHa oh my yes. The Watch that releaves me is very particular about which chair they sit in. They will sometimes even switch out a chair I may sit in for another and go sit at another desk! I have a standard rule, the chair I'm squatted in, comes with the desk. We have desks that rise though so we can be standing and type, very good for hot calls and you are pacing.
ReplyDeleteSuz-Wow!!! Never would have thought that...And I used to work in a library in high school, I know it's a war zone some days. :)
ReplyDeleteTexas Dispatcher-Awesome, now I don't feel so alone!! People don't come in that early for the chairs, but they sure do gripe about them if they don't get them.
Jedi-That sucks!
Handcuffed-LOL, didn't even think of it that way!!!
Harlequin-Oh I hate the 'smell' chairs!! We can stand too and I love it!!
Thanks for all the comments!!!!!!
I love that video.
ReplyDelete