Monday, February 13, 2012

Hearing Does Not = Brains

Some people forget that everyone here in America has equal rights. My latest ignorant caller wanted to report some unsafe drivers. Here's a brief synopsis of a call that pissed me off more than any call has in a looonnnnggg time. Also, feel free to add liberal use of the words 'like' and 'totally' which I have chosen to omit as they also piss me off.

Caller: So I was in the store and saw some Deaf people and they were obviously deaf. Then I walked out to my car and it was across from theirs and they almost backed right into me! I mean, I laid on my horn and since they were deaf they couldn't hear it, but they are unsafe drivers. Are they even allowed to drive?? They shouldn't be and I want to report it.

Me: (Completely astounded at the ignorance of this caller and with blood pressure rising) Yes, they have the right to drive just like everyone else that passes the state drivers test. Also, since you already knew that they were deaf, a better option would have been to flash your lights at them because you knew they wouldn't hear you. Just because a person has been labeled something doesn't mean they can't drive.

Caller: (Clearly pissed that she didn't get her way even thought there was no damage to her car or anything else) Ok, thanks for your input. (As she's hanging up the phone I can clearly hear her disgusted 'ugh'.)

I was beyond pissed off. The Deaf community has worked hard to be given the equal rights and treatments that they deserve, only to have an idiot like this caller display how stupid the hearing community can be. Hearing does not = brains.

First let me point out, at no point in time should a Deaf person be called hearing impaired. Second, I know many Deaf people that are better drivers than hearing people.

End of rant.
911R

6 comments:

  1. Some people are so stupid that they shouldn't be out alone and unsupervised.
    My favorite is the idiots who call 911 and the first thing they say is, "This isn't an emergency..."
    WTF did you dial 911, you moron?
    Another called 911 because his dog was having seizures and he didn't know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell, I'm sure that there are a few BLIND people that would do better behind the wheel than some sighted people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... good thing this isn't in Florida... http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpolitics/2012/02/car-radio-noise-before-florida-supreme-court.html

    Apparently, the court says you must be able to "hear the siren".... a common excuse made by police to explain noise stops.

    So... is it important to hear the siren or not? Do tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This isn't an emergency..."

    My city, 911 is the only option to reach the police. When I start, "This isn't an emergency...", it is to insure I don't keep the dispatcher from an emergency call. I can hold.

    Better suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonymous-my personal thought on that, no it's not important, that's why there are also flashing lights to get attention. It would be the same when a squad car or other emergency vehicle is flying down the interstate, you don't often hear the siren until the vehicle is right on top of you or going past you because of the speed the vehicle is going.
    Also, any deaf person would be protected against having to hear the siren by the ADA. It guarentees equal rights in all things including the service and treatment that a person would recieve no matter what the disability/handicap. It may take them a minute or so to notice the lights in their mirror, but they stop just like everyone else. Where I'm from, some officers don't even always need to use their sirens, especially at night.
    Any other thoughts? I hope I answered what you were asking. Feel free to drop me an email also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Well Seasoned Fool- You are probably in a very large city... And that sounds exactly like what I would want to hear if I was in a large call center with 911 being the only way to get an officer. Where I am at, we still have the ole seven digit non emergency line in addition to 911 and have to answer both. :)

    ReplyDelete