Lately I've gotten several calls and stories where kids are running away from their parents house and going to their grandparents. They want to live with their grandparents permanently.
First off, have you heard anything like this?
Second, do you think the grandparents are just super chill (or immobile) and let the kids run wild?
I'm curious as to why this is happening. What are your thoughts dear readers? Would you have picked your grandparents?
Song for the post: The Duck Song (and especially the parody The Duck Song Part 5).
Ugh
1 year ago

Oh, hell, no I would not have picked my grandparents. They were not "super chill" and it would have been harder to live there. Gah!
ReplyDeleteHowever, my son has chosen to live with his step-grandmother and I believe that it has everything to do with the fact that he can come and go as he pleases. But...he's living with someone who loves him and provides a good roof over his head (not that I wouldn't). I think my son would have been happier if he was an only child - and at his grandma's house he is the only child.
I've received lots of those calls too, sometimes I think they just go to anyone who's not their parents.Like just get me away from there.
ReplyDeleteGrandparents spoil them. They probably think living with them is an option because so many of their peers are raised by grandparents.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was about 10, I ran away down the street to a convenience store and called my grandma. She picked me up, took me to a movie and shopping the next day, and took me home.
ReplyDeleteI found this to be the case with many of the juveniles I have worked with in years past. They want to live somewhere where they know they are loved and will be cared for. They are not getting what they need from their parents so they look to their grandparents for the love & care. Also, so many times the parents state they don't have the time for their kids because they are too busy working, partying, etc. This makes the kids feel unloved and unwanted. So they seek out adults who do have the time for them. It is a sad state this nation is turning into when parents no longer parent their own children because they either don't have the time or don't want to. But it is becoming more common for grandparents or other relatives to raise someone else's children.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that other people have these calls too!
ReplyDeleteGundiva, I totally agree, it would have been harder to live with mine! I'm glad that he is cared for though, by everyone.
Harlequin-So glad I'm not alone. Yea, that's what I was thinking too.
Suz-You are very right, seems like there are alot of kids that are being raised by grandparents these days.
Annoymous-What made you run away? Sounds like your grandma was a good women though. Hope everything worked out.
Gator Girl-Makes you wonder if all these women in the work force itsn't always a good thing...(I'm a women and love to work too, but kids need more than an after 5p mom).
What is becoming of our families?
Yup - definitely makes you think about being a woman/mother and working fulltime. I know my mom chose to stay at home when I was growing up. Once my youngest sister graduated from highschool, then my mom went back to work.
ReplyDeleteBut there are some who have no choice because they are single parents. And that makes it so much tougher. Families don't look out for eachother like they used to 20-30 yrs ago.
I tried when I was a kid. I called my grandparents and when grandpa told me I would have to clean my room at his house too, I decides to stay put! How he knew I was trying to get out of cleaning my room I'll never know!!!
ReplyDelete-dispatcher