You don't have water on because you didn't pay your bill? Not my problem.
You failed to go to court and now you have a warrant? Not my problem.
You missed work because the power went out yesterday? Not my problem.
You have a 12 year old that runs wild because you didn't raise them properly? Not my problem.
You don't think that the ambulance got there fast enough for your stubbed toe? Not my problem.
You are mad because I hung up on you after you were beyond verbally abusive to me? Definitely NOT my problem. I warned you I would hang up, so when I followed through there should be no surprise. You didn't have a police/EMS/Fire matter anyway.
Today I am tired of being the dumping ground for people that don't take responsibility for their actions. I'm younger then over half the callers and somehow manage to handle my life without calling 911 because the wind blew trash in my yard.
Average burn out time for a dispatcher is 5 years. Dear readers it's been a very long 5 (almost 6) years at this job. I love it and will never do anything else, but today I feel very burned out. Perhaps this post makes me sound mean, cynical, or unsympathetic...well so be it, I take responsibility for my thoughts/actions. Today has been a rough day and sometimes my job/callers manage to get the better of me. I'll bounce back with a smile tomorrow.
Time to get on the motorcycle and ride into the sunset...
Ugh
1 year ago

I've only been at this for seven months and there are days I feel the same way. It's just incredible the way people think, especially those whose circumstances or issues prompt them to call 911. those rare moments that make the job worth are indeed far too rare. :) I hope you can decompress Harley style on your days off!
ReplyDeleteRide Baby Ride, that is the best therapy there is. I understand how frustrating the job is for you. You are one of the good guys. Thank you for a job well done and hugs to you. I know you don't get enough of either as a dispatcher. You are walked on and jumped on. Their are good people out there who need you to be there, it is a shame that they are the silent majority.....
ReplyDeleteI am approaching my 5 year mark as a dispatcher. Lately I've been asking for a softer desk or a helmet so it doesn't hurt as much when I repeatedly beat my head against my desk when people call with these issues.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain too.
Thank you TGR and Canis for your kind words!
ReplyDeleteScott-Hang in there, I'm glad to know I'm not alone!
And yes the motorcyle ride did wonders for my soul. :)
Never did your job but spent years dealing with people under pressure. One boss often said, "That is your monkey, and you are not giving it to me." Another said, "People like that have been making bad decisions their whole lives. What makes you think you will change them"? In another words, don't take ownership of their crap.
ReplyDeleteI've been at it for 2 years and it never ceases to amaze me what some people will think to call the police for, not to mention 911. I had a call in regards to someone throwing a cup out the window 2 weeks prior. We tell them to just FOCUS for a second, which for us means, just F*ck off cause your stupid. makes us feel better. Lol.
ReplyDeletejust found your blog and i'm catching up. i've been at the same dispatch job for 17 years now.....and yes, feeling very burned out this week.
ReplyDelete