Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Best Time..

It's getting to be my favorite time for working!! Why you ask? Because of spring storms and summer heat!

Spring storms are completely unpredictable. When the blob on the weather radar looks almost like a dragon that's about to eat Townsville, I get excited. The anticipation for impending severe weather is almost tangible in my dispatch center. Alarms about the bad weather go off, the officers keep asking for updates, the latest national weather service alert gets broadcast over all my frequencies, and then there is more waiting... Things then either get really busy or the storm does nothing. Either way, time passes quicker.

The summer heat is always good for a few calls because people lose their ever-loving-minds and their blood seems to boil. Of course with boiling blood, the brain gets overheated and stupidity quickly follows.

In short, I'm an adrenaline junkie and love to work. I have the best job in the world!! Any other dispatchers feel that way when it gets busy?

5 comments:

  1. I love the spring & summer storms. I always find it funny tho that the emergency broadcasting on my TV to warn us about the storms plays when the storm is going on. It would have been great before hand. hehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first hot day here (Chicago) apparently made the entire south side loose it's collective mind. Sloppy. quite the fix for an adrenaline junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love summer storms and rains, because it cools the air and my lawn goes greener. haha! besides you can't appreciate the sunny days without the raining days that come with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer storms are the best. I never get tired of watching the lightning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get excited in the summer just because the call volume goes up. I agree though - summer storms are awesome -- usually means my status monitor goes to the 2nd page!

    ReplyDelete