You really never know about the stories of 'those people'. The ones that walk down the street and scream at the sky or cars or a leaf blowing by. One of our regulars likes to walk from place to place and scream at anything if the mood strikes.
She doesn't want any help and has refused warm places to stay over and over again, preferring to be homeless and dirty.
The other day her mother called. Her mother was worried about her. I found out that not only is our regular crazy lady really crazy, she wasn't always crazy.
In fact she used to be a teacher and has a masters degree. It was after the husband left her that she went off the deep end. No real mental issues prior to that and a family that loves her but doesn't know how to help anymore.
Sometimes I get so jaded by the job and all the stupidity there is in the world that I forget some of these people really don't have a choice in how they ended up. This particular crazy lady just kinda snapped. Makes me wonder about some of the others.
In the end though, I know I will turn a blind eye and simply send the police out to do their jobs because if I knew about all of them, I may start to care for or feel bad for them and that is not an option in my line of work.
Sometimes my heart is to big for the job I love so much. Any one else out there know what I mean?
You made a time machine, out of a Delorean?
7 hours ago

I totally get you! I rode with Hubs one night and we picked up a guy and his girlfriend for dealing drugs in the grocery store parking lot. She had some on her and so she was arrested. I was sitting in the car with her while hubs and his partner continued to investigate and I just started talking to her. I asked her what made her start using heroin and we just chatted. My heart breaks for her because she doesn't know what else to do and she might really want to stop. But then I remember the ones who dont care...
ReplyDeleteTis a shame as what your are describing for your 'crazy' woman is truly a mental illness, probably schizophrenia, which is controllable by psychotropic medications and your woman could probably lead a fairly normal life. the problem arises on the tremendous burden schizophrenia places on the care giver(s) in dealing with the individual taking their medication(s) and w/the side effects. normally what occurs is the individual feels fine and then quits taking the meds cuz they feel fine and then reverts back to full blown 'crazy' in about 10 days...
ReplyDeletetruly a sad cycle to be stuck in...
random comments from a MHP