She's almost 90 years old and said that she wants to jump out of the 3rd story window.
She lives in a raisin ranch (read nursing home) and has no money.
What do you say to her?
You can't say that she has so much to live for, or that she still has so much in life to do. It's difficult for her to move much and family isn't a good point to bring up either.
That has to be the oldest suicide attempt I've handled. Anyone else out there had older people calling about suicide? Wonder if these calls will become more common with the baby boomers aging.
No song today.
Ready for football to come back though!! Maybe I'll go watch an old game so I can yell at the TV and relieve some stress....
You made a time machine, out of a Delorean?
7 hours ago

As a nurse I've dealt alot with elderly depression. It's very common, the best thing i've found is to talk about their current friends (there is usually at least one) or their family even some distance cousin or neice. Although I usually have alot more time than you would somthing to get them see some small light and go from there.
ReplyDeleteI do belive that this un-talked about issue will get progessivly worse as the majority of the population ages
xx
Jaxs
Wow, Jackie I had no idea. Thank you for the insight!
ReplyDeletehow sad :[
ReplyDeleteI can't offer much advice since I'm at a loss as well, but I wanted to tell you I'm sniping that term. Raisin ranch made me giggle.
ReplyDeleteFirelady you are welcome to it! I have been waiting to use that here forever!!
ReplyDeleteI've had little experience with these type of calls, period... I would be interested in hearing some of your insight or even ways of dealing with it.... the few I've had always leave me feeling like i didn't do enough.
ReplyDeleteAs a caregiver, I see depression in the elderly a lot, too. Some of them feel they have no purpose anymore and are just living day to day.
ReplyDeleteBut I think MEDICATION has a lot to do with this, too. In all of my thirteen years as a caregiver, I don't think I've run across one elderly person yet who is taking only one or two meds. Usually they take handfuls at a time and that's just WRONG.
Plus, the treatment they get in some of these homes would make me want to kill myself, too. It's sad to see people "caring" for patients when all they want to do is collect a pay check.