The generation gap. It has become so very apparent lately. For example, there are younger kids who have no idea what an eight track was. These things really aren't that old.
Today, I had a girl ask me what a feather bed was. We are the same age. Does it seem like we are missing some vital piece of nostalgic history here? I used to fight with my siblings over who got to take a nap on the feather bed.
I know that older people don't always keep up with the latest technology and I can respect that. They made it through life just fine without the gadgets, so why learn some of the new things. I know that some people are into technology and so are their parents and grandparents, but not every ones grandma is going to have a facebook, or even a computer. That's how it is where I am. What about you?
Am I alone in thinking that we are losing something with all the super techno gadgets? When kids at the library say the Encyclopedia is for big words or to add wiki after you google a topic, I can't help but wonder if the internet is not the answer to everything. Also, if there's no child left behind, why does it seem like the upcoming generation is as smart as a box of rocks? Yes there are exceptions, but they seem to be anomalies rather than the norm.
This is the end of my little rant, but tell me, is there anyone else out there that feels like this at all???
You made a time machine, out of a Delorean?
7 hours ago

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I love the internet, I love facebook and im closer with extended family because of it. I set my parents up with FB so they can see our granddaughter and be a part of her life. Our son is a Marine and does not live nearby...we do what works! And if kids are stupid, it's an indictment of the educationa l system as a whole, not necessarily technology. Or at least in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteMeadowlark - That's so awesome!! And yes, I'd agree that the educational system is a huge failure at this point. I wonder though how much of an impact texting has on English or wikipedia has on actual reseach done anymore.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment! :)
well, I'm a full-time college student and work part-time. We are not allowed to utilize wikipedia for anything (like anyone would. duh) and in some classes when we turn stuff in, it runs it through a "thing" to see if it's plagiarized. I hope that helps. Nothing sucks as much as getting an A and seeing a peer paper where they can't compose a sentence, and they get a B. What the hell!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteTeachers have forgotten how to teach, because parents spend too much time trying to be their kids' friend. Grrrrr...
Technology is a tool which can be used or abused as the case may be. I know personally that I used to have a really good memory for phone numbers until I bought the iPhone. Now I remember only a select few. I do also believe that education in this country has suffered as we have, as a society, tried to focus too much on inflating the self esteem of our children instead of giving them the tools to be successful on their own. The education system itself has also been turned into a tool to indoctrinate children into a certain mode of thinking. I would suggest John Taylor Gatto's "The Underground History Of American Education" for more information on that point. Very interesting.
ReplyDeleteShepherd K-cool, I'll check that book out! Thanks!
ReplyDelete